Monday, November 9, 2009

Backlight Extension.

These backlights are weird. There's just not much else I have to say about them. But let's get to that in a minute. So as I've discussed before, there seems to be some question as to whether or not lengthening the cables from the inverters to the backlights will cause any dimming of the lights. Well here's what I've managed to come up with:


Can you tell which is brighter? They look the same to me. One of these has a 3 foot cable from the lamp to the inverter, the other's is about 4 inches. And I gotta say, They look pretty identical to me. So, it would appear that lengthening the cable from the backlight to the inverter (at least a short distance) should not affect the brightness of the lamps. Now to the weird bits.

When both lamps were attached via the 3 foot cable, and that cable was coiled up, weird things stated happening. When I touched the aluminum housing on one of the lights, (grounding them I suspect) it got a lot brighter and started humming at some high pitched frequency.

When I touched the aluminum housing of the other one, half of it went out. (It didn't matter where I touched it, it went out in the same place.)

Very interesting. The cable's definitely didn't like to be coiled. When I stretched them all the way out, they both lit up just fine and didn't appear to be affected by being touched.

Note: All 4 of these pictures were taken with exactly the same exposure settings. Their relative brightnesses should be quite accurate. 

Oh, and I really didn't feel up to soldering today. Probably tomorrow though. 

2 comments:

  1. I am in awe.

    Can't wait for the next instalment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check out this atom ion 330 mod

    http://bit.ly/1JnFe5

    ReplyDelete