Sunday, November 15, 2009

Neck Ache: Part 5: yuck

So I had a little chat with my dad this morning and he suggested that it could be a grounding issue. When he was my age he built a dune-buggy with a VW Bug chassis and a fiberglass top. The when securing the instruments to the new fiberglass dashboard, they kinda worked but always gave funky data. He realized at that point,  the instruments were all designed to be grounded through the original metal VW dashboard and since the fiberglass wasn't conducting electricity, they acted funky. A couple jumper wires later and he was in business.

Fantastic story really, and it all seemed to fit so well into the problems I was having. On the video card and power supply, all the screw holes on the boards are surrounded by solder as if to make sure there's a good connection between that point and the metal housing they're all connected to.

Well it turns out grounding may have been some of the problem, but I'm not sure how much this actually had to do with this. (granted, all my testing was done with all the screws securely screwed into the original metal housing)

I had the exact same symptoms as before: staticy picture with no backlight. However, I made the discovery that the reason the I got no image or backlight yesterday was because I had taken the rear of the display off and hooked the neck directly to the LCD. If the metal chassis the LCD sits in was not in contact with the metal inside the back of the display, there was no image what so ever.

I did have one interesting revelation however. With the monitor still on showing the staticy image from my computer, when I unplugged the VGA cable from the monitor, the backlights came right on and the monitor's dialog box saying "No display connected" (or something like that) flashed on for about 1 second. It was crystal clear, just the way it should be. However, after that one second, the backlights went out. The message still seemed to be there just as clear though or a second or 2 more.

I also tried hitting the monitor's menu button and the menu did come up, but the backlights didn't turn on. This is very strange.

1 comment:

  1. If it was that easy, someone would have already had done it! Keep up the good work. I am following you closely, since I am about to go on a same journey as you...

    ReplyDelete