Saturday, November 14, 2009

Neck Ache: Part 4: Ugh

Right-o lets get this over with. 

Took this super tiny piece of wire and soldered the two broken ends together. 

I know it's not the prettiest thing in the world, but the three bits are securely attached to each other. A little electrical tape and I should be in business... Should....

So at this point, I plug everything in to test it. It doesn't work of course. Here's what happened: The backlight turns on for a second and then turns off again; the status light is amber. I wiggle the video wires a bit and get the backlights to stay on and on the screen I get black static. Wiggle the wires a little more and the black static turns a little bit into the image of what it should be showing but with lots of static and the status light turns green. A wiggle later, the backlights are off again and there's not even a black staticy image left on the screen. However, the status light is still green. 

If you click on the image, you'll get a bigger version. Notice the LED is still green and there's nothing on the screen...
Now in the process of doing all this, I removed the neck from the LCD back so I could get to things easier while I was troubleshooting. Unfortunately, I couldn't think of anything else to do. I went back and multi-metered all the video wires and everything connected right were it was supposed to be and there were no exposed wires touching themselves or anything like that. 

I'm really out of ideas. It doesn't seem to be a problem with the backlights because they were functioning perfectly when they were on. The LCD itself seems to be doing well: when it did show a staticy image of my computer, besides being staticy and stretched, the colors were all accurate and things seemed to be in the right place... I don't know, but that's enough for tonight anyway... 









1 comment:

  1. Is it possible the impedence of one of the wires that you are splicing to is different from the original wire?

    ReplyDelete