Thursday, June 2, 2011

Backlights Pt 1

As you can see, I had a little bit more success today. I used my makeshift power supply and hooked up my inverter using JBerg's pinout with the exception the red line had to be connected directly to the 5V line instead of the 12V line which created a flashing backlight that I turned off really quickly.

The only problem is the backlights seemed to be on their lowest setting, which I should be able to fix by adding a voltage to the Orange floating line.


Update: I applied the 3.3V (3.75V actual) to the Orange floating pin and the screen got infinitesimally brighter, but hardly enough to notice. I am now stumped. My only theory is that 3.3V produces the dimmest light, and as the voltage drops, the light gets brighter BUT if there's no voltage at all, it defaults to being super dim. I know very little about this stuff, so it's just a theory. 

Update 2: I added an LED to the end of the positive line, creating a voltage drop to about 1.5V. This still had no effect, although, I can't be sure that should even work in the first place. :-/

2 comments:

  1. I already posted some comments to JBergs blog about my success in exchanging CCFL to LED backlight. I did this now on an iMac G4, an Apple Cinema Display 20" (the old acrylic one) and a Samsung 17" TDT (to be installed in an iMac G4 housing). Except for dimming the backlight everything is working with those LED stripes I used. I created a review - unfortunately in German, but if you are interested in more information, I am always happy to help.
    JeanLuc

    ReplyDelete
  2. did someone ever solve this backlight issue Ricardo describes?

    ReplyDelete