Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Digital Arts Final Installation

 I regard the iMac G4 as the most beautiful personal computer ever produced. I thought it tragic that such a work of art should slip into obsolescence and set out to revitalize it with modern technology.  My goal was to create a fully functional, modern computer completely within the confines of the original iMac all-in-one concept; everything contained within the unaltered body. Functional data ports, single power cable, etc.
Because of the limited room inside the computer, Apple didn’t use off-the-shelf components. Almost everything (including the display) was custom made to work with only those components. The culmination of four months of research, experimentation, and error, the most difficult part of this transformation, the display, was finally completed. The display can now be attached to any modern computer via a DVI cable. 
To complete this project, I constructed a custom power supply and completely rewired the display. To do this, I taught myself the finer points of power supplies, the inner workings of displays, LVDS and TMDS video signals, high voltage CCFL backlights, and spent a lot of time troubleshooting obscure electrical issues to which nobody seems to know the answers. 
Although the project was completed for a Digital Arts class, this is a personal project I first began thinking about after the iMac G4‘s discontinuation. I kept a blog of the entire process here
Final video displayed on computer during installation: 

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations. That's so beautiful! I have a spare imac g4 if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I would love to take that iMac off your hands, but being a broke college student, I don't have the money to finish this project, never mind start a new one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hola desde españa, hoy comienzo mi aventura! inentare crear un monitor con mi G5 GRACIAS . THANKS

    ReplyDelete