Monday, May 2, 2011

Neck Surgery

I managed to get the screen working decently well (turns out I had the plug coming out of the video card backwards). The picture was good, affected only by some slight red static, so I decided to go ahead and put the backlight cables into the neck.

In order to make room, I decided to remove the group of cables that took power to the old inverter, seeing as how they weren't in use any more (except for 1 which I spliced into to carry an extra video signal wire). Unfortunately, inside the neck, this group of wires is heat-shrunk to the set of wires carrying the sleep/wake LED and microphone, both of which I would like to use later, so they'll have to be unwrapped all the way.

The heat shrink tubing goes all the way into the pivot points, so you'll have to pull the cords farther into the neck by about an inch to get it all off.

For threading the new wires through, I found it easiest to bundle them into small groups rather than trying to pull them all through at once. I pushed a spare piece of solid core wire through the top of the neck and used it to pull the 2 groups through one at a time, starting with the biggest.

I found the taped part went around the tight corners the easiest the smaller it was, so I tightly wrapped the group with the solid core wire with as little tape as possible, doing my best to keep it in a concise length.

I then spent another half an hour unsuccessfully trying to pop the neck back together, but it just wasn't having it. Oh well, more to come in the coming day(s). 

No comments:

Post a Comment