Friday, October 16, 2009

Introduction




This is it. I'm going to do it. Others have tried, but as far as I have been able to find, none have succeeded. There has been a thread going on for more than 3 years at MacRumers.com of people who were interested in this, but nobody's figured it out. I plan on figuring it out.

The obvious question is "why?". The answer is simple: the iMac G4 is the most beautiful personal computer I have ever seen. Ever since its release in 2002, I have wanted one. In 2004, Apple moved on to the new, slimmer look of the G5. However, to this day, not even Apple has come out with a computer that is a worthy successor. This is why I am determined to have the best of both worlds. I want the beauty and elegance of this 7 year old computer but also the functionality of a new machine.

When I'm done, I want the transition to be seamless. My goal is to have it look and work as if it just came from apple: functioning I/O ports, single power cable, original sphere speakers, DVD drive... As close to original functionality as I can get.

This project is extremely ambitious. I am a college junior graphic design major with a love of mods but very little actual experience. I am by no means wealthy and am looking to do this with the smallest possible budget. That being said, I have no illusions; this project isn't going to be cheap.

I am going to be documenting my entire process here including pictures, commentary, lists, and I'm sure a few dumb jokes.

Wish me luck...

1 comment:

  1. "The obvious question is "why?". The answer is simple: the iMac G4 is the most beautiful personal computer I have ever seen."

    Exactly! I am hoping to achieve the same goal for the same reason, and I am foraging eBay and Craigslist for the necessary parts.
    I can see already that the LCD swap will be one of the greatest challenges.
    I have a Samsung 205BW (TN) monitor and a Dell UltraSharp 2007WFP (S-IPS) monitor. Hopefully I can get one of the panels to work, and I can use the DVI interface.
    For the guts, the Zotac Ion mini-ITX board seems reasonable so far, with a much better CPU and built-in graphics than the original.
    It would be nice to have a PCIe x16 video card but space is maybe too restricted. Since it was designed, components are mostly way smaller, so the hard drive could be hugely improved either with a 2.5" laptop drive or even a 60GB+ SSD.
    I haven't read your blog yet but it should be handy to point out the tricky parts. I hope you get (got?) it to work out ok.

    ReplyDelete