Saturday, October 31, 2009

When Life Gives You Lemons: LCD Edition

The only benefit I can see that came from my little upset yesterday is that I am now able to do a little experimenting. I have first decided to test the backlight dimming theory. The ideas is, as stated a few days ago, that if you lengthen the wires from the power inverted to the LCD backlights, the extra resistance will cause the light to be dimmer. 

So using some extra cat5 cable I had, I soldered in an extension just short of 3 feet. My results: Hard to tell. In the process of doing something, I managed to kill one of the backlights. However, the remaining backlight was still producing a decent quantity of light. It's difficult to judge if it was dimmer or by how much, but it definitely seemed close. So that remains a viable option anyway.

There has also been another development. For the iMac, Apple designed a special, standalone inverter which sits right next to the display. It was suggested that if I could figure out how to use that one instead of the built-in one on the new LCD's power supply, I wouldn't have to worry about cable length. It turns out that might just work.

As seen in the picture below. The iMac's special inverter has a 6 wire "power cable" coming out of it. On the new LCD's power supply, where all the rest of the inverter circuitry seems to be located, there's that big black square thingy which has, at the front of it, 6 beefy solder connections to the board. My theory is, if I pulled that piece out and soldered in six wires in its place, I could run that from the power supply to the iMac's special inverter be home free.



The only problem is, I have no idea which way to orient the wires. Even if you make the giant assumption the wires are in the same order, if I hook it up backwards (the red wire at the top when it's suppose to be at the bottom), I'd probably fry the inverter if not the entire power supply. I'll soon have a backup power supply, but only one inverter...

By the way, here's the code printed on the top of the black square thingy. I googled in but didn't find anything. It's unclear whether the 0 is a zero or the letter. I tried both but neither came up with anything.

SPW-095
LSE r15Ch

If only I had won the lottery, I could just buy up a pickup load of LCDs and iMacs and not have to worry too much about the whole screw up thing. if only...

No comments:

Post a Comment