Saturday, October 24, 2009

Mixed Bag

After hyping myself up over it all, I was pretty disappointed at the selection of books at the Powell's Technical bookstore. If I would have had more time I would have liked to check out their main location but the clock just didn't permit.


I did however pick up this massive book called "Upgrading and Repairing PCs 17th edition"for $25. It's huge. The book has 1582 pages filled with every possible detail about everything from processor sockets to Power Supply cable pinouts. I'm not sure how much good I'm actually going to get out of it, but I'm sure I'll end up cracking it open a couple times.

What I was really looking for was something that would detail with actual computer modification. Things like soldering your own USB connectors, extending ribbon cables, making VGA cables, and solving power requirement differences between laptop CD drives and full sized 5.25" CD drives. Does anybody have any recommendations?

1 comment:

  1. Very nice and thanks for allowing the comments to be Anonymous, I don't have an account for some of those sites.

    I'm doing the same project you are doing, except that I already have a G4, I have the 20" imac G4 but the screen is busted from an accident that happened 5 years ago (me and a cousin playing ball inside the house), but other than the faulty screen, the imac works great.

    I have an old mini, which has been my media work horse for a couple of years now. I'll be getting the mac mini sometime next month when I drive to the US and go to an apple store. I was thinking of getting the base mini to use as my media center and turn my old mini into the G4, which seems to be enough to give this puppy a couple more years of life.

    I'm not an experienced electrician, but I've done a few projects, so this is more in the ways of a challenge.

    To make this story short, I will be paying attention to this blog and I hope you and everybody else that attempts this, me included of course, gets a happy endind.

    ReplyDelete