Friday, October 23, 2009

Lesson #1



This is how tomorrow was supposed to go for me: Drive to portland, spend some quality time with the family, drop by Powell's Books to grab a couple computer modding books if I can find any, and, oh yeah, buy my iMac. Bottom line is, it's almost 5:00pm and as of now, there are no 17" iMac G4s currently up for sale on CraigsList. So tomorrow, I will still be heading up to Portland to hang with the fam, and I will still go to Powell's and look for some books. But I will not be buying my iMac.

And you're sitting there thinking I don't really care about this guy's personal problems, what's the point?

My point is, I had planned for about a week now to buy my iMac in Portland. When I discovered that Portland's supply of iMacs was fresh out, I panicked. I ravaged through eBay's collection of iMacs and, within 5 minutes, bought one. Now I'd say that all-in-all, I got a pretty good deal: 17" in good condition with a broken screen for $160 shipped. However, I didn't bother asking the seller to email me some high resolution pictures of it so I could really verify the unit's condition. This was not a super smart move. However, I have this LCD monitor laying in pieces on my desk and I just couldn't stand the idea of waiting any longer.

Now, after even more blabbling, what should you take away from this? Either have lots of patience or procure your iMac before the rest of your stuff ships and you start ripping it apart.

I'm not entirely sure when my iMac is going to get here. Hopefully next week sometime. That's another thing about eBay: so much waiting....

No comments:

Post a Comment