Thursday, October 22, 2009

Neck Surgery: Solutions


One of the major challenges with replacing the screen in the iMac with a non-Apple panel was having to open up the neck to run new cables. The screw head used is quite beautiful but isn't used on anything else in the world (as far as I know). The choice is understandable though: there is a giant spring under lots of pressure in there that could cause injury to anybody who opens them carelessly. Anyway... Finding the drivers to take these apart is very difficult. The only place I could think to look would be a well established Apple Authorized Reseller with a good repair service (not an actual Apple store. I'm sure they stopped stocking the drivers for these years ago). 

However, I was lucky enough to track down a workshop here at the University of Oregon (that shall remain anonymous) that would make it for me. The guy there was super nice and even though they aren't supposed to be doing these things for non-chemistry activities, the project was simple enough he agreed to have it ready for me tomorrow if I promised not send anybody else his way for anything. So if you're in Eugene and find yourself needing one of these, ask to barrow mine, please don't bother the nice workshop people!

4 comments:

  1. I have opened up a few imac g4 necks and advise you to use caution and a lot of duck tape. The spring inside is under significant tension. If it comes off its bearing it can fly off. The channel for wires is very small and the hole is at a very sharp angle allowing for only stripped wires without connector heads to fit through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have used a snap ring tong, it works as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A pair of narrow needle-nosed pliers did it for me.
    Yes, the spring will probably push one clamshell out of its sleeve bearing.
    A stout screwdriver, braced against the lower end of the spring, and the housing of the sleeve bearing, allowed me to pop the spring-carrying half shell back into the bearing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A pair of narrow needle-nosed pliers did it for me.
    Yes, the spring will probably push one clamshell out of its sleeve bearing.
    A stout screwdriver, braced against the lower end of the spring, and the housing of the sleeve bearing, allowed me to pop the spring-carrying half shell back into the bearing.

    ReplyDelete